The Chronicles of Mommyhood

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Take a Deep Breath!


Just breathe...really...BREATHE!

Our dear sweetheart Jack-Jack is emulating his blog patron from The Incredibles to the tee. Though content and happy most of the time, when Jack-Jack gets mad, he gets REALLY mad. So much so that he doesn't breathe and passes out. When this happened for the first time last week I thought he had died as I held my limp, unconscious little boy in my arms. Several seconds later he was fine...breathing, content and happy.

After twice terrifying his Mommy, Jack-Jack has been officially diagnosed with breath-holding spells. It is so common the doctor has a standard handout on it. Up to 5% of kids do this between 6 months and 5 years. There is not much I can do about it other than try to startle him into breathing when I know it is coming. The biggest risk is that he would injure himself if he falls as he passes out. While reassuring that BHS are completely benign, don't cause brain damage or signify emotional problems (it's likely genetic), I find it frustrating that I can do nothing to prevent it! Making a big fuss about it or showing your fear can make the spells more frequent as babies approach toddlerhood and temper tantrums. They can learn to trigger the attacks themselves when frustrated or angry. It is yet another reminder for me that God is in control and to trust him!


Dash had his 2-year checkup when we were at the pediatrician. His new stats (which are appropriate for a normal 3 year-old):

Height: 37 inches
Weight: 32 pounds

2 Comments:

  • Look at those eyes!

    I started thinking more about Peter (now 7) and his breath holding spells. I really had completely forgotten about them until you mentioned it tonight at dinner. But they really didn't last that long. He soon outgrew it and we just dealt with it. It became less of a panic situation after we knew what it was.

    Reading that you thought for a moment that he had died just broke my heart. So scary.

    It was great seeing you again.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:59 PM  

  • What a beautiful baby--he is one happy boy! You hang in there with the breath holding spells. I will pray to Our Lady to comfort you when and if they happen again. I can't imagine how awful it was to think your precious one had died.

    It was fun chatting tonight and hope to visit more soon!

    By Blogger Jennifer in TX, at 12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home