The Chronicles of Mommyhood

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Be Still My Heart!

Dash read his first book yesterday! We are so, so very excited and proud of him.

He was trying to sound out the words as we read a book together, so I asked him if he would like to try to read a special little boy book by himself (we have done no formal phonics instruction...in retrospect I probably shouldn't have done this knowing how he becomes frustrated if he can't succeed). I pulled out a BOB Book that we had stashed for just such an occasion (though I certainly did not expect it to be so soon!) He read through Mat and halfway through Sam until we were interrupted by the return of Mr. Incredible and Jack-Jack.

If he likes to read half as much as his Mommy and Daddy, we will keep going through books like water around here!

3 Comments:

  • That's really exciting. Sophie is loving the Bob Books too. They're perfect for beginning readers. And there are lots of them.

    By Anonymous katherine, at 9:00 PM  

  • How Wonderful! I've been trying to get Cecilia to read but I can't get her to sit still long enough for any formal phonics lessons. I've never heard of the Bob books. I'll have to look into them.

    By Anonymous Katherine, at 6:34 AM  

  • Tex, this is great! We are working through the kindergarten Hooked on Phonics with M and he seems to be enjoying it. My sis used it with her boys, who at 4 became great readers. I was tentative bc M also gets so frustrated when he can't do things perfectly the first time through... So far, so good! Good luck and way to go, Dash!

    By Blogger B-Mama, at 10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home